Semester Final Blog-Graphic Design


  1. What did you do this Semester? What is your overall opinion on the design process and final outcome of the project?
Raccoon:

  The project was to create a raccoon with a fall background. The project took 2 weeks to complete. While making the raccoon I and many others noticed the instructions were outdated and some of the short cuts and options were removed or renamed. So we had to experiment until our raccoons matched the instructions. While making the raccoon I learned how to experiment within the limit of instructions, trying different methods while making sure the raccoon was the same as the instructions. After I finished the main raccoon I was told to add more to the area surrounding the raccoon so I changed the size of the raccoon and added a tree, piles of leaves and nuts around the raccoon. I Liked how the raccoon itself came out however the process of making it was frustrating because of lack of instructions
    Typography:

      The project was to create customized font to apply to a postcard that would also feature the raccoon. The project took over a week to complete. During this process I learned how difficult it is to create typography, I often had to restart due to the amount of faded pencil marks. In Adobe Photoshop I changed the outline by making it sharper and smaller. I disliked creating typography overall and how my typography came out, it lacked the appearance of split wood I was attempting to give to the outline.

    Postcard:
      The project was to create a postcard using the both the raccoon and the custom typography. The project took 2 weeks to complete. The layers of the background and the smaller graphics on the front side of the postcard were difficult to keep together in the beginning, some parts would disappear or wouldn't group with the other graphics. 
    I was told to add more to the postcard so I added in several bats and pumpkin around the raccoon. I enjoyed the process of making the postcard as well as the final outcome. 
      Infographic:

        The project was to research a topic we were interested in and complete an infographic about that subject. The project, including the creation of the outline, the graphics and the overall template took 3 weeks to complete.
      It was difficult to find the tutorials I needed for my graphics so I had to make most of them myself. I learned during this process how to create simple graphics form referenced clip art. After the project was complete I was notified of several spacing inconsistencies and spelling errors so I fixed the spelling errors and readjusted font sizes to fix the spacing issues. I disliked the final outcome, it was very blocky compared to the outline I'd made and the finished info graphs of my peers. I also didn't like how frustrating creating the graphics myself was without the knowledge to make them look sooth and professional looking. 
        Vector portrait:

         The project was to create a vector portrait and apply a professional mock up to it. The entire project took about 2 weeks to complete. I had a hard time finding a vector portrait tutorial I liked, I had to start over three times and cycle through other pictures of me to match each vector tutorial attempt. While making the vector portrait I learned how to create customized brushes and apply them to the swirl tool. I changed the entire  method of creating the vector portrait while making it and adjusted the line thickness. I like how this attempt came out compared to the other attempts.

        How did you use your time in class?

          I've used my time in class to work on projects and research ways to compelete these projects in a simpler and professional way. I researched how to use different tools in photoshop and looked at different profiles on bechance to get ideas for current assignments. I practice simple graphic tutorials to focus on developing experience with basic tools in Adobe Illustrator. 
        1.   What are your areas of strength as an employee or graphic designer?

          I experiment and try to go beyond the instructions, using them as reference and not as an absolute guide. I need to work on time management by getting more done in a shorter time period. I haven't been able to work on improving my speed. Spend less time on detail in exchange for finishing projects faster and on time


        1.  Summary 


          I loved creating the vector portraits, specifically adding odd and abstract effects and design choices. However, I would have spend more time organizing and planing how I plan to make a graphic or a project. I would like to work on personal projects to practice using Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator after school or during lunch.

        Comments

        Popular posts from this blog

        Professional Article Review

        My Personality Type

        ABC Sequence